Old Chang Kee
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request ingredient lists. We do use most of the 14 major allergens in our cooking and while we take measures to prevent cross contamination we cannot guarantee it.
Yes, learn more about OCK @ Work here. And contact us directly at email@example.com.
We are primarily a grab-and-go restaurant but we have tables you can sit at on a first-come-first-served basis. You will need to order and collect your food at the till.
We do have customer toilets at our Goodge Street location. Unfortunately our Covent Garden location is small and we do not offer customer toilets.
If you dine in, we serve you on reusable plates. If you take away, 99% of our packaging is biodegradable and recyclable. (We’re working on the other 1%.)
We deliver within 2 miles from our two London locations, however, this does depend on the availability of delivery couriers. Bad weather can also affect how far we go. Plug in your postcode to see if we deliver to you.
There’s a ‘pick up’ option on our ordering platform. Or just call ahead, speak to our team and we’ll be happy to help.
Delivery fees are charged by the mile, and go to the couriers who deliver the food. We don’t make anything from delivery fees, and also subsidise a reasonable amount on each delivery to make the rates more competitive. What we charge is the genuine cost of a delivery driver or rider picking up hot food and going straight to your front door.
We are more than happy for you to order from the usual platforms like Deliveroo and Uber Eats, which typically have lower delivery fees. But the real cost of delivery remains the same whomever you use, and it just means that these platforms ‘hide’ their fees by taking a huge cut from us – the restaurants.
If you can support us, please do. But we value every order, no matter who you choose to order from!
OCK @ Home
Largely! There are some extras, like bottled sauces and Singapore Laksa and Nasi Lemak assemble-at-home meal kits.
Anywhere in the mainland UK. But we don’t cover Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands and some postcodes in the Scottish Highlands.
Not usually, but if you have a special request please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
We have delivery slots every Friday, which close the Wednesday before at 10am. You will be able to choose a delivery date when you place your order.
It arrives chilled and packed in insulated packaging (ice packs and liners) to last 48 hours in transit.
We use overnight couriers (e.g. APC/DHL) to deliver the food and they have been instructed to leave all parcels in a safe place if you are not at home.
You can choose to store the food chilled within the Use By period. Or freeze immediately upon receipt (except the Laksa and Nasi Lemak meal kits) for a longer shelf life.
Reheating instructions are below and are also provided on each pack and item.
Storage conditions: Keep refrigerated 0 to 5 deg C within the Use By period. You can also freeze the item on the day of purchase/delivery but do defrost thoroughly in the refrigerator overnight before re-heating. Food frozen correctly will remain food safe for as long as you keep it that way, but we do advise to eat anything frozen within 3 months to avoid a deterioration in quality.
Cooking: Reheat on the hob on low heat, stirring regularly. If using a microwave, partially open lid of the container while re-heating. Check that the food is above 75 deg C, or piping hot, before serving.
Storage conditions: Keep refrigerated 0 to 5 deg C within the Use By period. You can also freeze the item on the day of purchase/delivery. Food frozen correctly will remain food safe for as long as you keep it that way, but we do advise to eat anything frozen within 3 months to avoid a deterioration in quality.
Cooking: Remove from packaging and reheat in oven at 180 deg C for 20-25 min (from chilled) or 30-35 min (from frozen. Check that the food is above 75 deg C, or piping hot, before serving.
Singapore Laksa and Nasi Lemak Meal Kits:
Storage conditions: Keep refrigerated 0 to 5 deg C within the Use By period. Please note that meal kit cannot be frozen.
Cooking: The meal kit will come with specific cooking instructions.
Delivering food safely across the country requires robust packaging and this does mean that we do have to use plastic to protect the quality of the food. We ask that you reuse as much as you can, to avoid waste.
You’ll get a tracking email from our courier partners on the day of delivery. Please check that first for updates and allow for deliveries to arrive up to 9pm on the day.
We do our best to contact you first if we notice anything amiss with your delivery. But please get in touch if something goes wrong and we will make good.
Unfortunately not, as your delivery slot will depend on the courier’s route for the day in your area. If you are not at home when they arrive, they will leave the parcel in a safe place.